Toddler Blamed for Sparking Hotel Room Fire at Frontier Inn in Susanville



Firefighters with the Susanville Fire Department said engines responded to a commercial structure fire call on Thursday, April 14, around 9 a.m.

When arrived, they found the fire had been extinguished by the people in the first-floor room.
It was discovered that the fire was contained to a mattress and bedding materials. Fire personnel determined that the fire did not extend to any other items or areas of the hotel. As an investigation got underway, the people in the hotel room said the fire was unintentional and was caused when a toddler played with a butane mini torch and ignited a blanket on the bed.

They said they could get themselves and the two children out of the room and then used a fire extinguisher to put out the burning bed.

Fire Captain Dale Johnson emphasized that Matches, lighters, and mini torches can be deadly in a child’s hand., and should be regarded as tools, not toys. Adding to Never allow children to play with matches or lighters, and do not leave young children unattended.

The Fire captain said there were no injuries and that CalFire, the City of Susanville Gas Department, and the Susanville Police Department assisted the department.