Unattended Stovetops Spark Dual Home Fires- Svl Fire Urges Safety


Two Homes were left damaged by smoke and flames as unattended stovetops sparked fires in two separate incidents this week.

Saturday evening, Flames erupted from a stovetop in the Susan River Apartment complex off Riverside Drive. Susanville Fire arrived to find smoke billowing from the apartment’s front door just before 10 pm that evening.

Due to the department’s quick response, the fire was quickly knocked down, and no injuries resulted from the blaze.
The start of the fire has yet to be determined. Yet, investigators say it had originated on the stovetop in the kitchen and extended to the ceiling and the floor, causing extensive smoke damage throughout the apartment.

In a separate incident on Monday, around 8 pm, the Susanville Interagency Dispatch Center received a report of a home fire on Fifth Street. Yet before firefighters could arrive the fire, confined to the kitchen, was put out but did leave one person in the home with minor burn injuries and possible smoke inhalation.

Fire crews said the fire was unintentional, caused by combustible materials left unattended on the hot stovetop.

In light of these incidents, the Susanville Fire Department emphasizes the importance of staying in the kitchen while cooking and urged people to turn off the stove and use a timer if they need to leave, as a precautionary measure.


Photo by KWON JUNHO on Unsplash