Two prescribed burns were scheduled last week for today by the BLM and Lassen Volcanic Park Service, yet if conditions do not allow, they are likely to be canceled.
As of yesterday, CALFIRE Lassen Modoc Unit issued no burn days with the increase in winds with the incoming storm. Starting today into Wednesday, you will not be allowed to burn yard debris as there is a high threat of fire spread.
The two burns expected today but likely to be rescheduled include a 45-acre burn on Bald mountain conducted by the Bureau of land management to reduce ground fuels on the understory and improve the health of the landscape. If completed, the Spaulding and Bucks bay communities and those driving along 139 can expect to see smoke, fire engines, and crews.
The second burn is planned in the Manzanita Lake area by the Lassen Volcanic National Park. If completed, there will be temporary traffic control and a change of parking areas where crews work.
The BLM and Park Services will use caution and only complete the burn if the weather holds.