Chimney Fire in Janesville Serves as Warning for Homeowners as Winter Approaches


A Janesville home fire serves as a stark reminder that as the weather cools, it is critical to inspect your home’s chimney flue before lighting a fire.

Janesville Fire says on Monday around 4:30, fire crews responded to a home near the Elementary school to find flames and smoke billowing from the home.

With the arrival of additional engines, firefighters were able to knock down the flames from the exterior of the home and extinguish the fire.

Investigations into the cause of the fire revealed a dirty flue pipe had sparked the blaze.

Fire chief Leef of Janesville Fire Protection District says no one in the home or firefighters battling the flames were injured.

According to Insurance company State Farm, it is vital to inspect the chimney of your home in the Fall before temperatures drop drastically to prevent such instances from occurring as a dirty flue fire can reach temperatures of up to 2000 degrees.