Forest Service News Release Dixie Fire Update, September 22, 2021
963,276 Acres 94% Containment 1,892 Total Personnel
Fire Information: 530-592-0838 (7 am to 10 pm)
Dixie Fire West Zone:
The incident is being managed under Unified Command with California Interagency Management Team 14 and CAL FIRE.
• The Dixie Fire is approximately 963,276 acres (no change from Tuesday) and 94 percent contained (a 4 percent increase).
• Yesterday’s hot, dry weather aided firefighters in their search for remaining sources of heat along the fireline. As hotspots became more active, they produced more smoke, providing a visual indication of the location of the heat source. Patrolling engines and crews were able to target and extinguish many of these hotspots.
• Fire crews have completed 6.5 miles of suppression repair on the fire’s northern perimeter, along State Route 44 near Bogard Rest Area. For example, heavy-equipment operators are using machinery to pull vegetation and ground cover onto dozer and hand line and constructing water bars to prevent erosion. This process is a collaborative effort between firefighters, equipment operators, and resource advisors. They walk the fireline together to identify repair needs and develop strategies to protect infrastructure and natural and cultural resources from further damage.
• Warm, windy weather will continue today, extending the recent drying trend. Temperatures are expected to reach the mid 80s, with relative humidity in the teens. Southwest winds could gust up 23 mph this afternoon.
• Today, firefighters will continue to patrol the perimeter for sources of heat near established containment lines and backhaul equipment—such as hose, pumps, garbage, hand tools—that is no longer needed for fire suppression.
• Active U.S. Army personnel who are fireline qualified have been assisting the West Zone fire- suppression and repair efforts.
• The public is advised to be cautious along local roadways as fire traffic will be conducting patrols and suppression repair.
The Lassen National Forest Dixie Fire Closure Order is in effect until November 30, 2021, to provide safety for our firefighters and the public: www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lassen/alerts-notices/?aid=67821.